Summary: Are you up for a drug test at work? Here is everything you need to know to beat a mouth swab drug test to keep your job.
If you have ever tried some THC or cannabis and have a job where drug tests are a routine, it can be worrisome. You may wonder how to pass an oral swab drug test or how long does THC stays in your saliva drug test and what possible implications these tests can have on your professional life. All these questions are important if you want to understand how to pass a mouth swab drug test.
First of all, rest easy. You can easily pass these types of drug tests if you know what to do and depending upon how long before you tried pot, marijuana, or any similar drugs. You must know what this test is and how it is performed.
What is a Mouth Swab Drug Test?
A mouth swab test is used to screen people who may be using some kind of drug that is against office policy. These tests are also known as saliva drug tests and oral fluids drug tests. A mouth swab test is often used as an alternative to a urine drug test as they are easier to administer and the sample collection is more transparent. This makes it unlikely that someone has tampered with the test sample.
Offices can use these tests as pre-employment screening, random testing, pre-promotion testing, or post-accident testing. These tests can have not only economic implications but also sometimes legal consequences. For example, a company may administer this test for its drivers who have been in an accident.
|Type of Drug||How Long Do the Drug Stay in Your System|
|Marijuana||24 to 72 hours|
|Alcohol||1 to 5 days|
|Opioids||24 to36 hours|
|Methamphetamine||1 to 4 days|
|Amphetamine||1 to 5 days|
How Mouth Swab Drug Tests Are Done
There is an easy way with which this kind of test is performed. It is not intrusive and quick. For you to get tested, there will be several steps that will be followed:
- Your boss or someone from HR will decide that you need to be tested for drugs. This test is usually only performed if there is suspicion of you using drugs like THC or weed at work. If you are suspected of using the drugs at other times (before 48 hours period) and you are tested through this method, then it is likely that your boss does not know about oral swab drug test THC detection times. The mouth swab drug test detection period is usually limited to a few hours and not days.
- The person who is performing the test will let the equipment come to room temperature first and ask you to spit out any gums you might have in your mouth.
- The cotton swab will be inserted into your mouth and your cheeks, gums, and tongues will also be swabbed for up to five minutes or when the swab gets saturated. This can be indicated with a line on the testing swab.
- The swab will then be removed and placed in a testing cup. Saliva drug test detection times for THC are usually 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the colored bands can show if drugs are present in your mouth or not.
Substances like opioids, cannabis (THC), phencyclidine (PCP), alcohol, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, amphetamines, and methamphetamines can be detected with saliva drug tests.
How to Pass A Mouth Swab Drug Test for Weed?
Now that you know what happens during this test, the next question automatically becomes how can I pass a cotton swab drug test? There are many things that you can try to test positive for a drug that you may have used recreationally. You can try home remedies or products specially designed to help you with such issues.
Home Remedies to Pass A Saliva Drug Test
Many home remedies have helped people avoid testing positive in drug tests conducted at work. Home remedies can help you beat saliva drug tests in two ways. Here are 7 steps you should follow in both cases.
If you have no time before the drug test is administered:
- Eat some candies to make your saliva acidic.
- Chew some gums to increase saliva production.
- Rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide, five minutes before the test. You can also use white vinegar or an alcohol-free mouthwash.
If you have time to prepare before the drug test is administered:
- Do not take any drugs 72 hours before the test.
- Add fat-high foods to your diet before you have to get tested.
- Sip water throughout the day to increase saliva production.
- Brush your teeth twice a day daily and do gargles every 15 minutes before a test.
Top Detox Products to Use Before A Saliva Drug Test
If you are worried that home remedies alone will not be enough for cleaning residues of drugs from your mouth, following detox products have been known to help.
- Magnum Detox Mouthwash
This is a cheap mouthwash ($10- 11) and works well according to reviews. It is easily available on Amazon and Walmart. You have to use it right before a drug test. The only downsides to it are that you will have to use the bottle at once, will have to carry it around and the blue color may stain your teeth.
- Stinger Detox Mouthwash
It is quite popular and has worked well for people. To use it you have to go through the whole bottle slowly and gargle and swish it for at least a minute each time. It has ribose and amino acids that can help fool some antibody tests. It is safe and does not contain toxic products. However, it is costly ($35) and lacks a scientific basis.
- Clear Choice Oral Clear Gum Alternative
This one has mixed reviews. It has been shown to help some while not so much with others. The single gum costs $90. For it to work you have to take the gum out of the capsule and then bite it. The liquid from the gum should stay in your mouth for 30 seconds before you start chewing. You should then chew the gum for 30 more seconds before throwing it out. The saliva should remain clean for at least 10 to 30 minutes. This one is easy to use, carry, and conceal. It tastes well and is safe.